Luminate is a global philanthropic organisation focused on empowering people and institutions to work together to build just and fair societies. We are in the process of establishing a new program of work to combat the harms created through the spread of mis and disinformation by the Big Tech companies and social media platforms. This program will combine strategic litigation, policy and advocacy, and campaigning to push for greater accountability and oversight of the platforms’ business models and products. This is an extension of Luminate’s long-term work to protect data rights and to tackle the rise of digital threats to our democracies, including the work of our initiative Reset.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Head of EU Campaigns position is an important senior role for the new programme. The role will have 3 primary functions – a) building civil society power by growing the community of organisations and individuals campaigning on the issues of Big Tech harms in Europe b) Programmatic - deploying public campaigning to maximal impact to support the programme’s litigation and policy and advocacy work in the EU as well as campaigning on the long-term objective of eroding the tech platforms’ social license to operate a harmful business model c) Identifying and providing campaign support to wider civil society or partners where needed.
The Head of EU Campaigns will be based in Berlin, Brussels or Paris.
- Keeping an up-to-date understanding of the landscape of the various initiatives on platform accountability across different groups in the EU
- Developing relationships with groups working on data and digital rights in the EU as well as other movements impacted by mis/disinformation - such as climate change, racial justice, children’s rights, as well as other campaign organisations large and small, interested in developing platform accountability work
- Maintaining relationships with a range of commercial vendors who can bolster existing campaigns or help launch new campaigns and communications work – this includes polling companies, communications agencies, designers, event-managers etc.
- Developing and launching campaigns that integrate litigation, policy and advocacy and campaigning on platform accountability in the EU, including supporting partners to do this work where applicable
- Writing and editing copy for campaigns and press and maintaining relationships with senior journalists
- Managing content channels such as websites and social media channels
- Tracking campaign budget spends
- Collecting data to inform new campaigns and evaluate existing ones
- Identifying opportunities to support the work of partners
- Identifying research needs for campaigns as well as supporting contractors and consultants to do their best work
- Liaising between internal Luminate thematic and regional teams and Reset’s global work
- The Head of EU Campaigns will report to the Director of Advocacy
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Several years of experience campaigning on a range of topics, including on issues relating to digital threats to democracy
- Excellent communications and people skills, with experience of working with a diverse range of people and willing to acknowledge and unlearn biases
- Demonstrated experience engaging and mobilizing the public on complex issues
- Demonstrated experience of building and managing large multi-stakeholder campaigns, including those involving multiple campaign groups
- Experience with managing multi-format and multilingual content creation as well as experience leveraging earned media for impact
- A database of contacts across the EU with relevant vendors, designers, film-makers, artists and campaign organisations
- Experience and ability managing a network of agencies and vendors and ensuring the delivery of high-quality work
- Strong project management skills and a high degree of comfort working in a fast-moving environment
- Strong writing and briefing skills in English including the ability to simplify complex messages for campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative to successfully lead teams, complete tasks and projects
- Personal interest in the stated missions of Luminate and Reset
- Positive attitude, adaptability, and the ability to think creatively
- Fluency in one or more major European languages other than English
- Ability to think critically about the impacts of new technology regulation on societies and governments in Asia, LatAm and Africa
Luminate offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
HOW MY APPLICATION WILL BE REVIEWED
To start the application process, click this link: https://app.beapplied.com/apply/85m6oqjixg
Applications are due by 5pm (GMT) on Friday, 28 January 2022.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW
Luminate believes that diversity and inclusion make us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or national law.